Monday 19 April 2010

How do the serious photographers enjoy their holidays?

Sunrise at The Gap, originally uploaded by Adriana Glackin.
I ask this question because I’ve just spent 10 days away on holidays with family and friends, and of course much of my camera gear. At the start of this year I also undertook the Photo-a-Day project and was looking forward to the family holiday even more than I normally do – I would be able to take advantage of the wonderful location AND submit stunning images for each day...no excuses.

 There would be no excuses about no time, or being too busy, or couldn’t think of what to shoot, or being too tired, or no props, or there’s nothing exciting to shoot. Nosirree, no excuses – I would be surrounded by fresh scenery – beaches, bush, pastureland, dairy farms, and quaint country towns – gosh, I was even planning the shots in my head as we drove to our holiday destination. That is, until I got there. The minute I stepped out the car, I immediately went into holiday mode. All I wanted to do was go to the beach and have fun with my family and friends; all day and every day. There were days that I really struggled to even take the camera out of its bag as it would mean time away from my family and friends. Stealing myself away from them made me resent the project and resent the commitment I’d made to myself about completing it.

 I then got to thinking – how do the really serious photographers go while on holidays? Do they even have holidays? Do they struggle to have a good time? Do they switch off from all things photographic? Or do they have their cameras around their necks no matter what? Is every moment a photographic moment? What is a holiday to a serious photographer? And is that the difference between a wannabe and a serious photographer – that there’s no such thing as a holiday as every opportunity is a photo opportunity? I would love to hear your thoughts on this. How do you juggle the fun times with photographic times while you’re on holiday? Needless to say there are many photos I didn’t take, which really is just as well as we’ll be returning again next year.

7 comments:

Sara Lamond said...

Sometimes you just have to stop and enjoy the sunset - as it's meant to be - with people you love by your side and without a camera in front of your face.

Unknown said...

Yes I totally agree Sara, and in the end that's what I did. I didn't want to miss out on the family experiences/memories just because I was surrounded by beautiful scenery that I felt compelled to photograph. I was curious to know how other photographers felt when they spend holidays with their family - do they hang their camera up for that time and just enjoy their family time?

drew said...

You have to have a break from whatever you do, especially if it's something you do every day.
That's one reason I've avoided doing a photo blog or taking on a photo-a-day-for-a-year challenge.

That said, when I go on holidays I often do more 'fun' photography, like run some film through my holga. You need a simple way of indulging your creative urges without making it work by lugging all your gear wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

I have this problem, and I agree too with sara, its one reason I've taken so few fotos lately. It has to be a holiday for us all and The Dutchman and The Flipster get sick of hanging around while I get anal about 'perfect shots'.

I try and assume there will be no fotos (other than snaps) while we're on holidays as a family. Hard tho, when you start 'seeing' some of the great shots you're missing ;-)

Unknown said...

@drew - There are some great tips there drew... have fun and don't lug all the gear about. I think that's the way to have a successful family/friends holiday. Maybe there's a time and a place for serious or project based photography and on a family holiday isn't the time or place... :)
@PoTH - Yes, my family get a little tired and have little patience when I say one more shot (especially when it's a long exposure shot). I wonder if it would be different if all members also shared the photography bug?

Peter Hill said...

It depends. When on hold with my kids, serious photography is linked to their level of patience and involvement. Sans children, I have serious enjoyment shooting all day whilst on hols.

Btw, this image is absolutely superbly perfect. Please upload to RB!!

Unknown said...

@Peter - yes it certainly depends on who you're with. On my recent holiday, I was the only one who had an interest in photography. I would imagine it would be a very different holiday if all members who photographers! :)

Red Bubble Gallery

Red Bubble Gallery
view my photography at Red Bubble